Friday, August 19, 2011

The Fear


Somehow, for the second Friday in a row, I'm unbelievably hungover. I mean, I know how it happened; I understand how booze works, but I'm not sure why I keep getting drunk on Thursdays. Wasn't that supposed to stop when I graduated? I guess it's probably more something that happens when you get a job, something I still haven't been able to get.
Ah well, back to my hangover. This morning I woke up with a bad case of the Fear. I know that's something usually reserved for those who enjoy a touch of the nose candy (or what-have-you) and Hunter S. Thompson, but I get it from drinking too much cheap pinot grigio on an empty stomach. And, even if I was tempted to begin dabbling in drugs, I drunkenly decided to watch Trainspotting on Netflix last night and am now terrified of everything, yet deeply in love with Jonny Lee Miller and Ewan McGregor. What was I talking about? I just started drooling on my keyboard. Oh, the Fear, yes. You see when I woke up this morning to the incessant ringing of my doorbell because I forgot I had signed up to have the exterminator come this morning, I was terrified. Anyone who has been insanely hungover knows this feeling, but may not have had a name for it until now. You're welcome. It's that feeling that if you get out of bed you will absolutely dissolve into a puddle of sadness and despair; when you can't complete a single thought and your arms and legs feel like lead weights attached to your jelly torso and having to talk to a single other human being makes you break into a cold sweat. Know that feeling? I assumed as much.
This is the way I've woken up the last two Fridays in a row, and frankly I'm intrigued to see if this pattern continues. It wasn't a conscious choice. Last Thursday I went out with a friend, which I think is a good reason to be hungover the next day. Last night, however, I didn't do anything. I just bought a bottle of wine and watched Jersey Shore. I guess it would be possible to blame my hangover on that show, but let's be honest, I started drinking at 7, and I had forgotten that it was Jerzday. I'm an idiot.
One good thing that came out of this sad, sad routine is a fantastic Fear playlist on Grooveshark. And so I invite anyone and everyone who had the Fear this morning, and even those of you who are actually responsible human beings, to partake in this fine selection of songs:
Choices, George Jones
The Galway Girl, Steve Earle
Every Man I Fall For, Cold War Kids
Devil Town, Tony Lucca
I Will Follow You Into the Dark, Death Cab for Cutie
Sleeping Sickness, City and Colour
Talk Show Host, Radiohead
No Cars Go, Arcade Fire
When the Lights Go Out, The Black Keys
Town with No Cheer, Tom Waits
One Big Holiday, My Morning Jacket
We Are Nowhere and It's Now, Bright Eyes with Emmylou Harris
Jolene, Ray LaMontagne
Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise, the Avett Brothers
The Ragged Sea, Alexi Murdoch
West Coast, Coconut Records
It'll All Work Out, Tom Petty
End of the Line, Traveling Wilburys

If it helps just one person get out of bed and face the mistakes they made last night, the last hour that I wasted putting together this playlist will be worth it. No need to tell me how awesome it is; I know.
I just found out when I googled "the fear" to find a picture for this post that that is the name of a Lily Allen song. I will not put it on my playlist. Sorry. Sort of.

No comments:

Post a Comment